Sunday, October 25, 2015

Scope, Consciousness and the ripple effect : From Patagonia to Noah

While this post might stretch what "related" means I think it captures a lot of the things covered both in class discussions but perhaps more so when we consider Patagonia's story. 

Supreme to the uninvited is the perhaps most important street wear brand in existence, much so to the credit of former creative director Brendon Babenzian. 

In the linked article Babenzian talks about leaving Supreme to set up his own brand Noah. While his anti-consumption is interesting enough and echoes Yvon Chouinard's views it becomes truly relevant in the following paragraph:
 "There's something else that's worrying me, and it's something I don't know if I'll ever be able to fix. I don't know what to do about it." He shook his head. "I recently found out that PETA had outed Patagonia for buying wool from a company with farms where the sheep were being treated horribly. I mean, I watched the video and I was holding back tears. It was just brutal. It was atrocious. And, to their credit, Patagonia responded within a day. They dropped that company. But upon further research, I found that this sort of treatment could be common practice in the wool industry. And, I mean, Patagonia has the resources and the buying power to change their suppliers' practices, but for me, I'm too small. So, at the moment, I have no idea where my wool is coming from. I'm like, Do I not sell wool? I love wool. So I'm going to have to find suppliers who treat their animals in a reasonable way, or, you know, take it on the chin."
He thought for a second and added, "I'm not a vegan. I'm not going to stop eating meat. I would just like for animals to be treated in a reasonable way. We don't have to torture them."
I think this speaks volumes to how the perceptions are changing within the industry itself, an perhaps more importantly how this is on the agenda far beyond Patagonia and Stella McCartney . Also Noah seems pretty cool. 

Read the full story - Click here


1 comment:

  1. Yes, but I wonder if Noah were to "hire" a small MBA student team if they could find a responsible wool supplier within a day...seems strange to me...but let's discuss.

    ReplyDelete